Osteoporosis

Osteoporosis is a reduction in the mass of bones.  About 98.5% of the calcium in the human body is found in the bones and teeth.  Most of the remaining 1.5% is required by the bloodstream, on a high priority basis.  If the blood does not get enough calcium, it will take what it needs from the bones.  Blood tests often show normal levels of calcium, even in advanced osteoporosis.

It is not necessary to consume dairy products in order to get enough calcium.  Calcium is widely dispersed throughout our food supply.  It is found in tiny amounts in almost every food and in significant amounts in almonds, barley, beet greens, dates, filberts, kale, molasses, mustard greens, oysters, peanuts, salmon, sardines, soy, spinach, sunflower seeds, turnip greens, and English walnuts.  Cows don’t drink milk, yet they have plenty of dietary calcium to put into their milk.  They get it from the greens they eat.  So can we.  There are many Asian, African and other cultures which do not consume dairy products at all yet have an extremely low incidence of osteoporosis.

Lack of calcium in the bones may have less to do with low intake than it has to do with calcium-depleting factors in our lifestyle.  Sugar causes the body to deplete calcium.  Caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate, colas) also causes the body to deplete calcium.  When both sugar and caffeine are consumed together, they have a multiplier effect on the amount of calcium depleted.  Excessive phosphorus (e.g., in soft drinks) also causes the body to waste calcium.  So does lack of exercise.

Even if dietary intake of calcium is sufficient, the body has to have enough of certain other factors in order to be able to utilize that calcium.  Magnesium is needed to keep calcium in solution, to keep it from precipitating out to form bone spurs and kidney stones.  High potassium intake is associated with low calcium excretion.  Vitamin D is needed by the parathyroid glands to regulate calcium metabolism.  Silicon acts as a catalyst for calcium utilization.  There has to be enough hydrochloric acid in the stomach in order to break down calcium in the diet.  And if the body does not produce enough bile, it cannot break down fats into droplets small enough to be acted upon by lipase (fat-splitting) enzymes.  Large globules of fats remain in the gut, attracting calcium (electromagnetically) to form insoluble soaps that cannot be absorbed through the intestinal wall.

Osteoporosis can be overcome by paying attention to all of the factors involved:  (1) Restrict sugar, caffeine, and soft drinks.  (2) Exercise regularly.  (3) Take supplementary calcium and magnesium.  (4) Support digestion by taking betaine hydrochloride and digestive enzymes.  (5) Ensure that total daily vitamin D intake is at least 2,000 IU.

See also the chapter, “Osteoporosis”, in NUTRITIONAL SOLUTIONS FOR 88 CONDITIONS (available from Amazon.com).

Example of an osteo support formula:  https://vitamost.club/products/calmax-osteo-nutrition

 

© 2012 – 2017, Nutritiapedia®. All rights reserved.
This article may be reprinted freely, in print or on other websites, provided that credit for its content is clearly attributed to Nutritiapedia® and/or David Rowland, the author of the Nutritiapedia® website.
http://nutritiapedia.org

This entry was posted in Bones, Condition, Skeletal by David W. Rowland. Bookmark the permalink.

About David W. Rowland

David W. Rowland, PhD is a leading edge innovator in the field of natural nutrition, and the creator of the Nutri-Body(R) method of nutritional assessment favored by practitioners. Dr. Rowland is available for telephone consultations. To set up an appointment email: david222@hush.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *